15 Relaxing Quotes to Help You Deal With Your Anxiety. For when you realize the purpose of a stress ball is not to throw it at people who. The athletes that come out on top are those that can put together the best performance despite how nervous they feel and how unhelpful their. For more articles written by Matt, click here. Facebook Twitter Comment. Tags:Competition QuotesSports.
Necessary: Quotes about nerves in sports
|KATY HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL CAMP|
|Quotes about nerves in sports|
|Quotes about nerves in sports|
10 Insightful Quotes About Mindfulness in Sports
Being the best athlete you can be requires talent and physical ability, but that can’t take you all the way unless you master the mental side of the game.
Whether you are performing or training, your mind needs clarity on the task at hand if you are to perform as well as you can. It is so easy to let your thinking become side-tracked and muddied by extraneous thoughts that break your concentration and lead to underperforming. Many of these thoughts can be negative and will produce a fear of failure response that will lead you to underachieve.
Mindfulness is a form of meditation that can help an athlete focus and perform to the best of their ability. It relies on you being fully in the moment, in the now, not the past or future. If you can do this during training, in the build-up to the event, and while performing, there will be no room quotes about nerves in sports negative or distracting thoughts to harm the outcome when it matters most.
Here are ten quotes about mindfulness in sports that will help you in your quest to be the sportsperson your skills allow:
10 Insightful Quotes About Mindfulness in Sports
- “You have to be able to center yourself, to let all of your emotions go. Don’t forget that you play with your soul as well as your body.” Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Abdul-Jabbar is an NBA star that played 20 seasons for the Milwaukee Bucks and the Los Angeles Lakers and was quotes about nerves in sports six-time winner of the NBA MVP award – a record. His quote sums up much of what mindfulness is about for an athlete. Not emotion-based, but present in the moment and centered. You must trust your preparation and instincts, especially during high-pressure situations.
- “Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response. In those choices lie our growth and our happiness.” Viktor Frankl
Viktor Frankl was a Holocaust survivor and psychiatrist, but his quote is perfect for adapting to sports, quotes about nerves in sports. Mindfulness can monitor how we react to events and how our bodies and minds change when faced with failure and success. It can help the athlete control his or her thoughts and actions to combat the negativity of poor outcomes and thrive on the good.
- “Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is.” Bob Feller
Bob Feller played 18 seasons in the Major League for the Cleveland Indians, and his words reinforce the idea that we have to begin each day, event and game with a positivity that is not affected by a loss or poor performance the day before, or even the moment before. At the end of each day, take a moment to reflect on your progress. If you did not give your full effort, acknowledge it, learn from it, and become better for it.
- "You will always miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
The world-famous Canadian hockey player reminds athletes that in order to succeed, you have to take every opportunity offered and not be distracted or scared. Your relationship with fear of failure needs to be reframed if you truly desire to reach your goals. One quick way to boost your self-belief to take those big shots involves preparation. Remember, practice and confidence go hand in hand – there are no short cuts to success.
- “Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them; a desire, a dream, a vision.” Muhammad Ali
Ali is considered by many to be the greatest athlete of all time. His quote illustrates that, however good your training and preparation are, it is what goes on inside your head that will make the difference. We see that all the time with athletes that are capable of astonishing skills yet fail to measure up at the highest level. You can either become your greatest teammate or your biggest competition – it all depends on your mental fitness.
- “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” Michael Jordan
Jordan reminds us that failure is part of every athlete’s life and that you have to learn to live with it and turn it to your advantage. You mustn't dwell on failure but use it as a spur for improvement and then move on. Understanding that every defeat or failure is an opportunity to self-reflect and, ultimately, improve. Bare in mind, we learn more from defeat than from success.
- “It’s what you learn after you think you know it all that really counts.” John Wooden
John Wooden, credited by many as the quotes about nerves in sports of the mental approach to coaching, points out that an athlete never stops learning and is always seeking to improve both body and brain. As athletes get older, their physical abilities inevitably begin to decline and they sometimes lose their edge. Often, because they understand their sport so well and can manage their body too, they are able to continue their career at the top for several years. Becoming a student of the game and having a sharper mind will allow you to make up for any drops in physical abilities.
- “Multitasking is seriously overrated. Try to do one quotes about nerves in sports at a time and learn to mooretown sports complex events it with more intentionality.” Gareth J. Mole
Gareth J. Mole is a performance psychologist, and his words explain how mindfulness can help every athlete: Concentrate on each moment as it comes and don’t crowd your mind with what has passed and what is to come. Overthinking can quickly spiral into a less than desirable outcome, so be sure to trust your abilities and stay in the quotes about nerves in sports and the now.
- "Concentration is a fine antidote to anxiety.” Jack Nicklaus
A candidate for greatest golfer ever, Nicklaus reminds athletes that concentration can help control fear and anxiety and that maintaining focus is all-important. In fact, the gold legend would visualize success. He never hit a shot, not even in practice, without having a very sharp, in-focus picture of it in his mind. Your ability to stay locked in during competition is often times the difference between success and failure.
- "My thoughts before a big race are usually pretty simple. I tell myself: Get out of the blocks, run your race, stay relaxed. If you run your race, you'll win. channel your energy. Focus." Carl Lewis
The winner of 10 Olympic medals, nine of them gold, and 10 World Championship medals (eight golds), Carl Quotes about nerves in sports dominated long jump and sprinting for much of his career. Mindfulness can be a tool that helps you have the focus and positive mindset that gives you the freedom to perform at the top of your game. It will allow you to maximize your potential and effectively utilize all the hours in the gym and on the training field.
All athletes need repetitive training to perfect their skills and time in the gym to strengthen their body and increase endurance, quotes about nerves in sports. But that is not enough. It is now recognized that most sports, particularly high-level sports, are won and lost in the head. Mindfulness can unlock this talent and provide the catalyst for improved performance. Keep these quotes readily accessible, whether it be in your bedroom or your locker, the next time you need to find a moment of peace before a big competition or game.
The 20 Greatest Sports Psychology Quotes of All Time
Being a great athlete not only requires great physical attributes, but also a mastery of swimming classes in kharghar mental game. Most of the greatest athletes in sports history became great because they mastered the psychological aspect of their respective game. As we gear up for another amazing fall sports season, we decided it was time to take a look at some of the greatest sports psychology quotes from some of the greatest professional athletes and coaches in sports history:
1. “Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind and start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is.” –Bob Feller
2. “It’s not up to me whether I win or lose. Ultimately, this might not be my day. And is is that philosophy towards sports, something that I really truly live by. I am emotional. I want quotes about nerves in sports win. I am hungry. I am a competitor. I have that fire. But deep down, I truly enjoy the art of competing so much more than the result.” –Apolo Ohno
3. “It doesn’t matter whether you are pursuing success in business, sports, the arts, or life in general: the bridge between wishing and accomplishing is discipline.” –Harvey Mackay
4. “Gold medals aren’t really made of gold. They’re made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” –Dan Gable
5. “That’s the one thing you learn in sports. You don’t give up; you fight to the finish.” –Louis Zamperini
6. “Just be patient. Let the game come to you. Don’t rush. Be quick, but don’t hurry.” –Earl Monroe
7. “I am building a fire, and every day I train, I add more fuel. At just the right moment, I light the match.” –Mia Hamm
8. “If you meet the Buddha in the lane, feed him the ball.” –Phil Jackson
9. “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” –Babe Ruth
10. “The world of sports knows no religious, racial, or political differences. Athletes, from whatever land they come, speak the same language. The lessons of competition are lessons for life.” –Robert Kennedy
11. “Sports is a metaphor for overcoming obstacles and achieving against great odds. Athletes, in times of difficulty, can be important role models.” –Bill Bradley
12. “I won’t predict anything historic. But nothing is impossible.” –Michael Phelps
13. “A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” –Wayne Gretzky
14. “Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer.” Ted Williams
15. “You win some, lose some, and wreck some.” –Dale Earnhardt
16. “Commitment, belief, and positive attitude are all important if you’re going to be a success, whether you’re in sports, in business, or, as in my case, anthropology.” –Donald Johanson
17. “Sport is a wonderful metaphor for life. Of all the sports that I played—skiing, baseball, fishing—there is no greater example than golf because you’re playing against yourself and nature.” –Robert Redford
18. “Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” –Vince Lombardi
19. “You can’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.” –Michael Phelps
20. “I was always into sports, and as a spokesperson, you need to be fit to survive and play from start to finish.” –Disha Patani
Tagged With: mental healthpsychologyquotessports
Explore the latest mental wellness tips and discussions, delivered straight to your inbox.
Start a Relationship with An Exceptional Counselor
Updated October 2021 – Now 39 Quotes!
The right kinds of quotes punch well above their weight. In other words for such short sentences, they can really make quotes about nerves in sports think. The challenge is picking through them all to separate the good ones from the well-intended garbage (trash). So we have decided to put on the plastic gloves dunamis sports massage do this for you. Below are some of our favourite sport psychology quotes. As you’ll see it’s a smörgåsbord of quotes from coaches, athletes and psychologists. Furthermore, quotes about nerves in sports, we have unpacked each quote a little. Essentially, providing a quick explanation about why it has been included in this ‘best sport psychology quotes’ blog. A number of these quotes are from our very own team of psychologists. This might seem a little self-indulgent but if you got it, flaunt it.
If you would like us to add your favourite sport psychology quotes paste them into the comments section below. Enjoy and please share with your networks. You have our full permission to copy and paste any of these to inspire or motivate or whatever.
Sport Psychology Quotes By Athletes
“There’s no way around hard work. Embrace it. You have to put in the hours because there is always something you can improve on”Roger Federer
Comment: If you want to go after quotes about nerves in sports in life and explore your full potential as an athlete or performer, you are going to need to put in the quotes about nerves in sports. Accepting the difficulty that comes from doing hard work is essential. As one of the greatest tennis players ever highlighted here, we can all learn from Roger Federer by believing that we can always improve in some capacity. A concept known in Japanese as “kaizen”.
“Gold medals aren’t really made of gold. They’re made of sweat, determination, and quotes about nerves in sports hard-to-find alloy called guts.”Dan Gable
Comment: This is such a great sport psychology quote. Maybe one of the best of all time hence why it’s at the top. So true. The medal, the trophy, the prize money are just symbols. The quotes about nerves in sports reward is the actual hard work. To this end, I am aware of many medal winners who don’t even bother to display them. They are in boxes collecting dust somewhere.
“It’s not who’s put up the fastest time in the world that year, or who’s put up the fastest time in the previous four years, but who can get their hand on the wall first today.”Nathan Adrian
Comment: This quote perfectly sums up a lot of the early conversations we have with athletes. We have this idea that on game day we need to be feeling great and thinking positively, and that we won’t perform well if we aren’t. The reality is that no one feels great on game day. The athletes that come out on top are those that can put together the best performance despite how nervous they feel and how unhelpful their thoughts are.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” and “A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.”Wayne Gretzky
“People say to me all the time, ‘You have no fear.’ I tell them, ‘No, that’s not true. I’m scared all the time. You have to have fear in order to have courage, quotes about nerves in sports. I’m a courageous person because I’m a scared person.”Wayne Gretzky
Comment: Two quotes here by one of the greatest [ice] hockey players of all time. For the first one. It allows us to reflect on the risk and reward of taking chances, quotes about nerves in sports. Mentally, many athletes prefer to play it safe when under pressure. To pass the ball or puck to a teammate instead of taking the shot. Players like Gretzky become great due mainly to their mental and tactical excellence at a time when it was not common for athletes to work on these areas. For the second one, a simple reference to an undervalues skills of perception and anticipation. Are you working on these areas in training?
“One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.”Arthur Ashe
Comment: This quote is less well known but is no less inspiring. It correctly suggests that trying to feel more confident without reason is limiting, quotes about nerves in sports. At Condor Performance we sometimes say to our clients ‘competence before confidence’. What we mean by this is the best way to feel more confident is by actually improving your skills and abilities. And the best quotes about nerves in sports to do this is via the right quantity of high-quality preparation.
“People say to me all the time, ‘You have no fear.’ I tell them, ‘No, that’s not true. I’m scared all the time. You have to have fear in order to have courage. I’m a courageous person because I’m a scared person.”Ronda Rousey
Comment: We have this idea that athletes are superhuman – they don’t feel nerves or fear, quotes about nerves in sports, and never doubt their ability. This just ins’t the case – the top athletes in the world feel all the same things we feel before quotes about nerves in sports important moment, but through years of experience have just become really good at performing with all of those unhelpful thoughts and feelings present.
“Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them; a desire, a dream, a vision.”Muhammad Ali
Comment: Not sure ‘the greatest’ meant to infer the following but anyway. Far too much of the sporting pathways overemphasise physical and technical. There is far too little on mental, tactical and personal.
Even More Quotes From Athletes …
“It’s fun to be in a race with Ledecki. We love racing each other. We don’t get to do it often”.Ariarne Titmus
Comment: Despite the pressure, hype and expectation, the main emotions Titmus felt in racing the legendary American swimmer Katie Ledecki at the 2021 Olympics in epic battles in the 200, 400 and 800 metre freestyle finals, were joy and excitement for the opportunity to do so.
“Dreams are free. Goals have a cost. While you can daydream for free, goals don’t come without a price. Time, Effort, Sacrifice, and Sweat. How will you pay for your goals?“Usain Bolt
Comment: This great quote gives us a possible sneak peek into why UB was one of the greatest of all time. He worked very hard in practice. He then relaxed (or tried to at least) on race day allowing that Time, Effort, Sacrifice, and Sweat to just bubble to the surface.
“I can only control my own performance. If I do my best, then I can feel good at the end of the day”Michael Phelps
Comment: One of the greatest Olympians of all-time talking about the importance of focusing on your own quotes about nerves in sports and effort. At Condor Performance, we believe in the importance of focusing on process over outcome. A sentiment echoed by Michael Phelps.
“I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and you put the work and time into it. I think your mind really controls everything.”Michael Phelps
Comment: Michael Phelps on understanding the mind and how we can train it to help ourselves perform better. Phelps has always given significant credit to his mental conditioning as an overall factor for his success in competitive swimming.
“I was forced to learn a lot about psychology as a player, and as a captain to get the best out of others. There’s still a lot of scepticism about it in sport and the workplace, but dealing with quotes about nerves in sports of form, and pressure, and being away from home is more important than your cover-drive.”Andrew Strauss
Comment: This quote is not one that we had not come across before until quotes about nerves in sports for this blog. Coming from one of the great thinkers of English cricket. It accurately explains that technical abilities (such as hitting a cover drive) don’t mean much without the mental side. Our coaching model Metuf explains this via the use of an analogy of an aeroplane.
“Preparation is everything and focus is the key. It’s easy to say you gave it your all out on the pitch. But the point is if you’d prepared you’d have had more to give and you’ve played better”.Eric Cantona
Comment: This is such a great point from the Manchester United legend. What it sounds like he’s saying is there is only so much you can do on match day. Performers who take short cuts in training hoping to “bring it” on match day are likely to be found wanting, quotes about nerves in sports.
“The harder I work, the luckier I get.”Gary Player
Comment: This quote was originally linked with Samuel Goldwyn but later popularised by Gary Player. What he/they are saying is actually 100% accurate. If luck is the random stuff in sports we have no influence over then we can reduce the role this plays in terms of results by ensuring high-quality effort. You can read more on the psychology of luck in sport here.
“I got more bruises, grass-burns and cuts in practice than in match play.”Jonty Rhodes
Comment: This quote is from legendary South African cricketer Jonty Rhodes. Despite retiring more than 15 years ago he is still considered one of the best fielders to ever play the same. The full article, from which the above was taken, can be viewed here. As can be seen from the profile page of our founder Gareth J. Mole, Jonty is a real favourite of his.
“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”Kevin Durant
Comment: There is an argument that the whole concept of talent is a bit of a myth. Essentially, when people refer to talent they are basically meaning genetics. In other words one of the few factor of performance that we have no influence on at all. We will be writing a full blog post on this shortly, when done you will see the link here.
The Michael Jordan Section:
“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”Michael Jordan
Comment: This is arguably one of the best sport psychology quotes of all time. It helps us to understand that performances at all levels and all types are full of errors. Knowing that processes (effort) and outcomes (results such as winning) are separate is key here. And as performers knowing we have a lot more influence over the former also helps.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.”Michael Jordan
Comment: Again Jordan is showing us that it was his mindset that made him so special. Being able to distinguish between effort (“trying”) and results (“failure”) is so very important. One way to do this is to forget bob jones baseball camp being able to control anything. Instead, consider the amount of influence you have. The more influence the more mental value you might put on those areas.
“Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.”Michael Jordan
Comment: This quote is all about creativity. For example, during the Corona Virus, which was full of obstacles, did you stop? Or did you find another way to do the tasks you value?
More Quotes From MJ …
“Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, and others make it happen.”Michael Jordan
Comment: Actions and desires are not as linked as you might think. In the work we do as sport psychologists and performance psychologists we don’t do as much work on thoughts and emotions as you might imagine. Why? At the end of the day, especially in sport, it’s all come back to actions. Would you rather kick the ball in the right way whilst thinking negatively or kick it incorrectly whilst thinking positively?
“The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether its proper technique, work ethic or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.”Michael Jordan
Comment: As knowledge of sport psychology and sport science explodes we are at great risk of getting away from the fundamentals. In other words, it is becoming harder and harder for athletes to stick to the basics. The great coaches can have it both ways. Their sport psychology knowledge can grow without letting this overcomplicate their coaching. Do you know what your fundamentals are?
Sport Psychology Quotes By Coaches
“It’s yellow jackets lacrosse you learn after you think you know it all that really counts.”John Wooden
Comment: John Wooden is considered by many as the first real mental coach in sports. He was either the first or one of the first to really take the mental side of performance seriously. In this sport psychology quote, he highlights the importance of never-ending learning.
“Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other quotes about nerves in sports to surrender the Me for the We.”Phil Jackson
Comment: Phil is most known for how we managed the tricky team dynamics of the Chicago Bulls team from the 1990s. If you are yet to do so we highly suggest you watch The Last Dance documentary.
“Comfort the challenged, and challenge the comfortable”Ric Charlesworth
Comment: This quote is more or less about the concept of flow. Flow is basically trying to find the sweet spot between too easy and too hard. As coaches or psychologists, we’re trying to help those we work with to not only find this middle anthony caruso hockey. But we also want them to have the skills to thrive once they find them.
Sport Psychology Quotes By Famous People
“Don’t wait until quotes about nerves in sports is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles, and less than perfect conditions. So what? Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident, and more and more successful.”Mark Victor Hansen
Comment: Perfectionism is a common mental block in sport and performance. You can have some of the motivational qualities of it without the ugly side with a simple reframe. Instead of striving to be perfect aim to just be better. And do this through the right quantity of high-quality preparation. This quote is similar to a bunch that are related to ‘great being the enemy of good’.
“If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.”Vincent van Gogh
Comment: You might be starting to sense a theme from some of these great quotes now. Doing and thinking are not the same. Focus more on doing and less on thinking. Would you rather be the best thinker of the doer in your sport or performance area?
Some Less Famous Ones …
“Confidence is a habit that can be developed by acting as if you already had the confidence you desire to have.”Brian Tracy
Comment: Have you ever heard ‘fake it til you make it’? Maybe a better version for sport psychology consulting is ‘fake it til you feel it’. This is so powerful. Waiting until you feel a certain way before you act that way is so very limiting. If you don’t know how then hire an acting coach and ask for them to help you. Or get in touch with us and we can include this as part of a larger mental training plan.
“Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.”William Arthur Ward
Comment: It’s hard to be sure about this one. Does it mean that challenges in life are invaluable mental training? What is certainly clear is the proposition that there is a choice about how we respond to adversity.
“Successful people have fear, successful people have doubts, and successful people have worries. They just don’t let these feelings stop them.”T. Harv Eker
Comment: Similar message. Thoughts and feelings are not fused with behaviours. You can still do remarkable things regardless of how you might be thinking and feeling.
“The way to develop self-confidence is to do the thing you fear and get a record of successful experiences southlake carroll girls soccer you.”William Jennings Bryan
Comment: In others seperate feelings from action. Accept the feelings but commit the the actions. Then remember you did this so you can repeat the process later.
Still More Quotes …
“Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover.”Mark Twain
Comment: This quote speaks for itself.
“You wouldn’t worry so much about what others think of you if you realised how seldom they do.”Eleanor Roosevelt
Comment: This is such a great quote. In sport, worrying about what others (teammates, coaches) think of you is so common. Yet, it happens so much less than we realise. Furthermore, this has been confirmed via a number of lab experiments.
Sport Psychology Quotes By Psychologists
“Multitasking is seriously overrated, quotes about nerves in sports. Try to do one task at a time and learn to do it with more purpose. “Gareth J. Mole
Comment: I could write a whole book on this subject. Maybe I will one day! By multitasking I are not referring to doing more than one thing at a time, quotes about nerves in sports. After all breathing is doing. It’s about trying to complete more than one non-automatic task at a time. For example, eating your lunch and typing an email. In my view these kinds of tasks are always best of being done separately. There are many reasons but the main one is this kind of multitasking means the quality of both tasks is compromised.
“What you do and who you are are not the same”Harley de Vos
Comment: Although what we do as an athlete or performer is an important part of our life, and may take up a large part of our life, it is important to remember that we are not defined by what we do and we should not define ourselves by what we do. As a person, our value and our self-worth is not determined by how well we played or performed.
” They don’t hand out winner’s medals to whose who were feeling the best on the day, nor to those who were thinking clearly quotes about nerves in sports positively. The medals only go to those who did the best. “Gareth J. Mole
Comment: I am not sure if I can claim this or not. If it’s not something that popped into my head then I am not sure where it comes from. Regardless this is my favourite sport psychology of all time. If you are reading this and you believe you know the origin of this quote please email me and I will be happy to change the credit above.
“We have this thing in our mind of I gotta feel perfect, calm and confident and THEN I’ll perform well. Mate, if that’s the case you’re going to perform well a very, very small portion of the time.”Peter Clarke
Comment: This quote is taken from the first few seconds of Peter Clarke’s interview on the podcast Under The Lid with Scolls, Buck & Burkey. Once again it points out that we don’t need to be feeling a certain way in order to execute our motor skills under pressure. And in fact waiting to feel that way will limit the number of chances you give ourselves.
“Listen to everyone because even an idiot will have a good idea once or twice in their life. Then evaluate and pick out what works for quotes about nerves in sports and commit to it.”James Kneller
Comment: Our own James Kneller reminds us about the importance of listening. In sport we so often talk about the importance of experience. Well that experience is comprised if you’re always listening to the same people over and over again.
Sport Psychology Quotes By Unknowns
“You are NOT your thoughts.”Unknown
Comment: This quote might not even qualify as a quote. Maybe it’s just a fact. And certainly, in the work we do as sport and performance psychologists it’s a fact worth remembering. These five words are so powerful that they are the ideal final sentiment of this extensive list of sport psychology quotes.
If you know of a quote that does appear above but feel it should then please add it to the comments section below and we’ll add it next time we update this page.
Author: Condor Performance
Condor Performance is a team of Sport Psychologists and Performance Psychologists who have been providing Sport Psychology Services and tailored Mental Toughness Training since 2005. We work right across the English speaking world. View all posts by Condor Performance
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. If make a purchase through these links, we receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Please see our disclosure for more info.
Michael Jeffrey Jordan was born February 17, 1963 in Brooklyn, New York. He is widely accepted as the greatest basketball player of all time and these Michael Jordan quotes help show why.
Jordan’s family moved to North Carolina when he was young, and while in high school, he played several different sports including basketball, football, and baseball. He eventually decided to focus on basketball and became a star player in high school. He played college basketball at North Carolina, where he was a sensation on the court and won several prestigious player of the year awards.
In 1987, Jordan began playing professionally for the Chicago Bulls. During his time with the franchise, he lead the team to numerous championship titles, and the Bulls dominated the sport while Jordan played for them.
Jordan went into retirement twice before he quotes about nerves in sports ended his career in 2003. His phenomenal playing and positive attitude made him a popular player both during and after his career.
These Michael Jordan quotes show the ambition and dedication of this talented athlete.
Michael Jordan Quotes
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.
To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don’t isolate.
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.
If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome.
The good part about being famous is being able to quotes about nerves in sports people. The hard part is every day you have to be in a good mood, because that is what people expect. You learn to get good at it.
I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win.
There is no ‘i’ in team but there is in win.
Sometimes, things may not go your way, but the effort should be there every single night.
Sometimes you need to get hit in the head to realize that you’re in a fight.
I built my talents on the shoulders of someone else’s talent.
I believe greatness is an evolutionary process that changes and evolves era to era.
In any investment, you expect to have fun and make money.
I wasn’t really a work-conscious type of person. I was a player. I loved to play sports.
There’s only one Michael Jordan.
I know the signs of scaredness.
Being Michael Jordan means acting the same as I always have.
I realize that I’m black, but I like to be viewed as a person, and this is everybody’s wish.
If you’re trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I’ve had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.
My father used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do. And he said, ‘You never know what you can accomplish until you try.
To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don’t isolate.
I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot… when you think about the consequences you always think of a negative result.
The game has its ups and downs, but you can never lose focus of your individual goals and you can’t let yourself be beat because of lack of effort.
You have competition every day because you set such high standards for yourself that you have to go out every day and live up to that.
I want to wake up every day and do whatever quotes about nerves in sports in my mind, and not feel pressure or obligations to do anything else in my life.
I’m not out there sweating for three hours every quotes about nerves in sports just to find out what it feels like to sweat.
My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength.
I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that quotes about nerves in sports why I succeed.
It’s absolutely wrong that I don’t want guys to challenge me. And the people who say that aren’t in the room.
Be true to the game, because the game will be true to you. If you try to shortcut the game, then the game will shortcut you. If you put forth the effort, good things will be bestowed upon you. That’s truly about the game, and in some ways that’s about life too.
You’re a loser. You’ve always been a loser.
You’re going to play from the little girls’ tees?
They don’t need a ticket to watch you sitting on the bench. They can go to your house for that.
Don’t let them drag you down by rumors just go with what you believe in.
Gambling is legal and betting is legal, for what I bet.
I can’t speak for the future. I have no crystal ball.
Once I made a decision, I never thought about it again.
What is love? Love is playing every game as if it’s your last!
The basketball court for me, during a game, is the most peaceful place I can imagine. On the basketball court, quotes about nerves in sports, I worry about nothing. When I’m out there, no one can bother me.
If I had been playing for money I would have complained a long time ago that I was underpaid.
I won’t have any competitive instincts in any sports, other than golf. I can’t see being competitive in sports any more.
It is nerve-wracking watching my kids’ games.
The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether it’s proper technique, quotes about nerves in sports, work ethic or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.
I think the players win the championship, and the organization has something to do with it, don’t get me wrong. But don’t try to put the organization above the players.
It’s hard to say if the NBA is hurt by the influx of younger players, but it’s definitely impacted the league.
If it turns out that my best wasn’t good enough, at least I won’t look back and say I was afraid to try.
It’s heavy duty to try to do everything and please everybody. My job was to go out there and play the game of basketball as best I can. People may not agree with that. I can’t live with what everyone’s impression of what I should or what I shouldn’t do.
As athletes, we’re used to reacting quickly. Here, it’s ‘come, stop, come, stop.’ There’s a lot of downtime. That’s the toughest part of the day.
The game of basketball has been everything to me. My place of refuge, place I’ve always gone where I needed comfort and peace. It’s been the site of intense pain and the most intense feelings of joy and satisfaction. It’s a relationship that has evolved over time, given me the greatest respect and love for the game.
In reality, I never want to grow up.
There is no such thing as a perfect basketball player, and I don’t believe there is only one greatest player either.
I never thought a role model should be negative.
The key to success is failure.
I want to be the bridge to the next generation.
I own the guy guarding me.
How many times have your parents told you not to do things, and the next thing you know, you go do it? And you realized you shouldn’t have done it.
I know fear is an obstacle for some people, but it is an illusion to me. Failure always made me try harder the next time.
I want to be perceived as a guy who played his best in all facets, not just scoring. A guy who loved challenges.
You can practice shooting 8 hours a day, ho soccer mx if your technique is wrong, then all you become is very good at shooting the wrong way. Get the fundamentals down and the level of everything you do will rise.
My challenge when I came back was to face the young talent, to dissect their games, and show them maybe that they needed to learn more about the game than just the money aspect.
Failure is acceptable. but not trying is a whole different ball park.
Best evaluation I can make of a player is to look in his eyes and see how scared they are.
My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.
The best come from the worst.
Champions do not become champions when they win an event, but in the hours, weeks, and months, and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance itself is merely a demonstration of their championship character.
I mean we all fly. Once you leave the ground, you fly. Some people fly longer than others.
When I will lose the sense of motivation and the sense to prove something as a basketball player, it’s time for me to move away from the game.
Learning’s a gift, even when pain is your teacher.
People quotes about nerves in sports me if I could fly, I said, “yeah…. for a little while.
The game is my wife. It demands loyalty and responsibility, and it gives me back fulfillment and peace.
Do I need my number retired throughout the course of the league to acknowledge what I’ve done? No.
I would tell players to relax and never think about what’s at stake. Just think about the basketball game. If you start to think about who is going to win the championship, you’ve lost your focus.
My body could stand the crutches but my mind couldn’t stand the sideline.
In college I never realized the opportunities available to a pro athlete. I’ve been given the chance to meet all kinds of people, to travel and expand my financial capabilities, to get ideas and learn about life, to create a world apart from basketball.
I hope the millions of people I’ve touched have the optimism and desire to share their goals and hard work and perseverance with a positive attitude.
Even when I’m old and gray, I won’t be able to play it, but I’ll still love the game.
I’d like to be settled into somewhat of a normal life. Somewhat. I know it’s never going to be completely normal.
Every time I feel tired while I am exercising and training, I close my eyes to see that picture, to see that list with my quotes about nerves in sports. This usually motivates me to work again.
When I was young, I had to learn the fundamentals of basketball. You can have all the physical ability in the world, but you still have to know the fundamentals.
For a competitive junkie like me, golf is a great solution because it smacks you in the face every time you think you’ve accomplished something. That to me has taken over a lot of the energy and competitiveness for basketball.
I will not quit this game because of what the media has done to me.
Playing sick. That is so hard to do. It has to be a total mental challenge, as well as the physical challenge.
I like control.
I want to play for years.
Quotes About Michael Jordan
I want to do for rebounds what Michael Jordan did for dunks.Dennis Rodman
Michael Jordan and Magic and myself all learned how to play the game in college programs that emphasized the team.Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
In 1981, when I went down to visit Georgia Tech, I watched Michael Jordan play and literally get ridiculed for taking a jump shot in the championship game that went off the backboard, and they won. People are forgetting that Michael was just one of the players when they went to the Dream Team.John Salley
If somebody says no to you, quotes about nerves in sports, or if you get cut, Michael Jordan was cut his first year, but he came back and he was the best ever. That is what you have quotes about nerves in sports have. The attitude that I’m going to show everybody, I’m going to work hard to get better and better.Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan changed so much in basketball, he took his power to make a difference. It’s so much going on in music right now and somebody has to make a difference.Kanye West
To put it another way, Michael Jordan was a gym rat.Frank Shorter
I grew up in Chicago, and I understand what Michael Jordan symbolizes.Dwyane Wade
If you look up the definition of greatness in the dictionary, it will say Michael Jordan.Elgin Baylor
You can’t explain much in 60 seconds, but when you show Michael Jordan, you don’t have to. It’s that simple.Phil Knight
Overall, I think Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete in any particular sport. He dominated the game for the Chicago Bulls and brought the NBA to its greatest peak of popularity.Will McDonough
15 Fun Facts About Michael Jordan
- Michael Jordan has Aqua phobia, an extreme fear of water. When he was young, he was with a friend when his friend drowned in the ocean.
- Even MJ had a turning point in his career. In just in his third match of playing in the NBA, he score 37 points and 5 assists against Milwaukee Bucks, which brought the Bulls back into the game.
- On February 14, 1990, his famous number 23 jersey was stolen. He had to wear a number 12 jersey against Orlando Magic.
- Michael Jordan ate the exact same thing before every game. His game-time meal included a 23-oz steak, a baked potato, and ginger ale.
- Michael Jordan wasn’t too fond of his first shoes, the Air Jordan 1. His viewpoint changed when he realized that the other team got distracted by them.
- Although a billionaire now, Jordan was never extremely rich before 1997. He received two big contracts worth $30 and $33 million in 1997 and 1998, quotes about nerves in sports, but before that he never earned more than $4 million in one season.
- During his first year with Washington Wizards, he was paid $1 million. He donated all of his contract to victims of 9/11.
- His father was murdered while sleeping. This is what led to his early retirement in 1993.
- Jordan had no visible tattoos while he was a professional athlete; he does have ink though. He has the Greek letter Omega tattooed on his chest where his heart is, showing his commitment to his Omega Psi Phi fraternity, the first predominantly African-American fraternity to be founded at Howard University.
- When Jordan and Juanita Vanoy divorced in 2006 it was the most expensive celebrity divorce of all time. Juanita walked away with about $168 million.
- In 1992, Jordan was the part of USA Basketball team at the Olympic Games in Barcelona where he won a gold medal. His laurel hockey name was Dream Team.
- His Air Jordan shoes make about $60 million every year over Nike and Jordan brand royalties.
- A pair of his Jordan’s earliest Nikes were purchased for over $71K at an auction.
- His Michael Jordan brand made an estimated $2.25 billion in 2013. Jordan reportedly netted about $90 million.
- Michael Jordan still makes $100 million a year. This made him one of the highest paid retired athletes in 2015.
These Michael Jordan quotes show his perseverance as an athlete and as a person striving to better himself throughout life. We hope you enjoyed these messages of strength and dedication.
Nerves In Sports Famous Quotes & Sayings
List of top 10 famous quotes and sayings about nerves in sports to read and share with friends on your Facebook, Twitter, blogs.
Top 10 Quotes About Nerves In Sports
#1. I created a flag from the sport's dignity. I oversee the name of my family with affection, steady nerves and blood. - Author: Helio Gracie
#2. The sad thing is that, for many writers of fantasy fiction, the inclusion of magic seems to mean that logical ramifications and real-world laws both go out the window. - Author: Jane Lindskold
#3. I made quotes about nerves in sports clear to the world that what Jade and I had found in each other was more real than any other world, more real than time, more real than death, more real, even, than she and I. - Author: Scott Spencer
#4. There was much conversation, most of which sounded like the rest of it. - Author: Sinclair Lewis
#5. The censure of a dog is something no man can stand. - Author: Christopher Morley
#6. Sometimes terror comes not from lighting a fuse but by merely suggesting the know how. - Author: Alice Ayden
#7. I believe international work is a heavy task, but that it is nevertheless indispensable to go through an apprenticeship in it, at the cost of many efforts and also of a real spirit of sacrifice: however imperfect it may be, the work of Geneva has a grandeur that deserves our support. - Author: Marie Curie
#8. As I was leaving graduate school in 1974, I was recruited to join a fledgling SETI project at the Hat Creek Observatory in California, mainly because I knew how to program an ancient PDP8/S computer that had been donated to the project. - Author: Jill Tarter
#9. I don't think I've ever not gotten nervous. When you work so hard for one special day or routine, you want to perform it better than you ever have. We always say at our gym, If you lose the nerves, you lose the sport. - Author: Shawn Johnson
#10. I will not give you counsel, saying do this, or do that. For not in doing or contriving, nor in choosing between this course and another, can I avail; but only in knowing what was and is, and in part also what shall be. - Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
100 Best Sports Quotes (Inspirational, Motivational, Awesome, and Funny)
Sports. The highs, the lows, the weird, the unbelievable, and everything in between. I love it!
It’s hard to get anything other than cliches out of athletes. Over time, there have been hundreds of brilliant quotes come from them like this one from Lou Piniella.
I enjoy a good sports quote, often using a motivational sports quote as a mantra for long runs. What you’ll find in this post are 100 quotes organised into categories.
The Greatest Sports Quote Of All Time
Motivational Sports Quotes
Inspirational Sports Quotes
Funny Sports Quotes
Awesome Sports Quotes
Best Sports Quotes From Autobiographies I’ve Read
The Greatest Sports Quote Of All Time
1. “Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire, it has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope, where once there was only despair. It is more powerful than governments in breaking down racial barriers. It laughs in the face of all types of discrimination.” – Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela may not be a pro athlete but these words at the inaugural Laureus World Sports Awards (2000) in Monaco make for the greatest sports quote of all time. The full speech is below.
Motivational Sports Quotes
Motivation: the act or an instance of motivating, or providing with a reason to act in a certain way.
Motivational in an adjective of motivation. I mention the definition as there is a difference between motivation and inspiration. When it comes to sports quotes it’s tricky to sort them so I’ve done my best based on their definitions.
That said, you could simply think of a mantra to get you outdoors and that’ll be enough inspiration to motivate you (it’s confusing right).
2. “Passion first and everything will fall into place.” – Holly Holm
3. “But I think when quotes about nerves in sports play so often in finals, I think it adds something to the game, you know, because people sometimes miss it and sometimes they don’t have it and they want it, and when they have it, they don’t want it. It’s kind of very strange how that goes.” – Roger Federer
4. “I just want people to see me as a hard-working footballer and someone who is passionate about the game.” – David Beckham
5, quotes about nerves in sports. “I don’t have to wait for nobody, I move when I wanna move.” – Floyd Mayweather
6. “Never limit yourself, never be satisfied, and smile… It’s free!” – Jennie Finch
7. “In the end, it’s extra effort that separates a winner from second place. But winning takes a lot more than that, quotes about nerves in sports, too. It starts with complete command of the fundamentals. Then it takes desire, determination, discipline, and self-sacrifice. And finally, it takes a great deal of love, fairness, and respect for your fellow man. Put all these together, and even if you don’t win, how can you lose?” – Jesse Owens
8. “The time when there is no one there to feel sorry for you or to cheer for you is when a player is made.” – Table tennis touch hack apk Duncan
9. “Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement.” – Matt Biondi
10. “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. That surrender, even the smallest act of giving up, stays with me. So when I feel like quitting, I ask myself, which would I rather live with?” ― Lance Armstrong
Lance devastated the world when he confessed to cheating with drugs. But he has continued on with life, not quitting and now I really enjoy his podcast.
11. “Worrying gets you nowhere. if you turn up worrying about how you’re going to perform, quotes about nerves in sports, you’ve already lost. Train hard, turn up, run your best and the rest will take care of itself.” – Usain Bolt
12. “I want to be a dad, first and foremost. I want to be a good father. I’ve spent so much of my life on the move and travelling around the world that just to set up a home for my family and be a good dad is something that motivates me.” – Ricky Ponting
13. “For me to get through the toughest periods in my life, I had to look within to find the energy to do it. I don’t give up. Never have. Never will.” – Jonah Lomu
14. “I met a young kid who was undergoing chemotherapy, and Dad would tell me he was on his deathbed. I called him and spoke to him and he’d been watching the races. Then seven months later he was at school, and that’s powered him through. I don’t understand it, but there is power in what we are doing, and power in families being together.” – Lewis Hamilton
15. “You can’t always control circumstances. However, you can always control your attitude, approach, and response. Your options are to complain or to look ahead and figure out how to make the situation better.” ― Tony Dungy
16. “Excellence is not a singular act but a habit. You are what you do repeatedly.” – Shaquille O’Neal
17. “If you can believe it, the mind can achieve it.” – Ronnie Lott
18. “I figure practice puts your brains in your muscles.” – Sam Snead
19. “I learned that if you want to make it bad enough, no matter how bad it is, you can make it.” – Gale Sayers
20. “When I first came on tour, I was playing for money. Now I’m playing to win golf tournaments and the money is more than I ever dreamed I could make.” – Annika Sorenstam
21. “I train so hard to make sure failure doesn’t happen. If I do everything I can, and run as fast as I possibly can and someone still beats me, I don’t think of that as failure.” – Marion Jones
22, quotes about nerves in sports. “I think self-awareness is probably the most important thing towards being a champion.” – Billie Jean King
23. “Moment of victory is much too short to live for that and nothing else.” ― Martina Navratilova
24. “Irrespective of whether you have the talent or not, one has to work hard. Just being talented doesn’t mean anything; you can end up wasting it before you realize.” – Virat Kohli
25. “The more I practice, the luckier I get.” – Gary Player
26. “When the mind is controlled and spirit aligned with purpose, the body is capable of so much more than we realize.” ― Rich Roll
27. “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” – Robert Cheeke
28, quotes about nerves in sports. “There are no shortcuts—everything is reps, reps, reps.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
29. “I get nervous about performing 90% of the time. There’s always that little self-doubt, but I don’t let it get to me.” – Torrie Wilson
30. “Leading a healthy, active lifestyle is all about momentum. If I’m in the middle of training it’s easy for me to keep that up. It gets tough when I’m on a break. I just try to start my day with a good breakfast and a quick walk, something simple that gets the day off on the right foot. The more I do that, the more I make healthy choices that reflect the good choices made earlier.” — Natalie Coughlin
31. “You can quotes about nerves in sports stick to your goals, or you can quotes about nerves in sports go through the motions and rest on your status. But it’s all about work.” – Kristine Lilly
32. “When you fail you learn from the mistakes you made and it motivates you to work even harder.” – Natalie Gulbis
33. “The way I’ve been brought up to is take critiques and turn them into positives in my game.” – Alex Morgan
34. “All you can do is be your best self. I’m representing more than just me. I think every person should think that way.” – Misty Copeland
35. “Believe me, the reward is not so great without the struggle.” – Wilma Rudolph
ALSO ON THE BLOG: SPORTS TRAVEL BLOGGERS YOU SHOULD BE FOLLOWING
Inspirational Sports Quotes
Inspiration: an inspiring or animating action or influence.
As inspirational is the adjective, these inspiring quotes can influence us from the outside. Motivation is more an internal thing. Confusing huh!
36. “I am no genius; I just worked hard like my other teammates, and I believe all my teammates can win the title as they work hard, too.” – Lin Dan
37. “I could never have gotten back into my career without the undying support of my husband, who works full time at a stressful job!” – Lindsay Davenport
38. “A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” – Wayne Gretsky
39. “I look into their eyes, shake their hand, pat their back, and wish them luck, quotes about nerves in sports, but I am thinking, ‘I am going to bury you.” – Seve Ballesteros
40. “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” – Babe Ruth
41. “Kill them with success and bury them with a smile.” – Usain Bolt
42. “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” – Derek Jeter
43, quotes about nerves in sports. “I’ve had to learn to fight all my life – got to learn to keep smiling. If you smile things will work out.” – Serena Williams
44. “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed, quotes about nerves in sports. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
45. “In baseball and in business, there are three types of people. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened.” – Tommy Lasorda
46. “The most we can hope for is to create the best possible conditions for success, then let go of the outcome. The ride is a lot more fun that way.” ― Phil Jackson
47. “Luck? Sure. But only after long practice and only with the ability to think under pressure.” – Babe Zaharias
48. “I wouldn’t let the boys down, no way. If my arm came off I’d still play.” — Jack Bird
49. “When you lose a couple of times, it makes you realize how difficult it is to win.” – Steffi Graf
50. “It doesn’t matter where you come from and no matter where you are or who you are, you can still make it.” – Gift Ngoepe
51. “I was very against pink and purple when I was young, because they were girls’ colors. But that was only because I didn’t want people to write me off for what I can do. When I got into my 20s, I decided that was stupid.” – Danica Parick
52. “I try not to look too far ahead. I could retire as an anchor, but I see myself as always being busy, and I want that connection to sports.” – Linda Cohn
53. “Labels are for filing. Labels are for clothing. Labels are not for people.” ― Martina Navratilova
54, quotes about nerves in sports. “You’re always going to be criticized to a degree. Some people didn’t like Mother Teresa as well.” – Brendan McCullum
55. “Character, character, character. First, second and third…we were pretty rusty initially. When you have a break for a few weeks you get a bit of rust.” – Graham Henry
56. “I start early and I stay late, day after day, year after year. It took me 17 years and 114 days to become an overnight success.” – Lionel Messi
57. “I’m always having fun in training and in boxing. I think it’s because boxing is my passion.” – Manny Pacquiao
58. “People want to project their own insecurities on others, but I refuse to allow them to put that on me. Just because you don’t think that you could be the best in the world doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t have the confidence to believe I can do anything.” ― Ronda Rousey
59. “You take a crash, holland patent football 2018 get back up and next time you succeed and that’s a great feeling.” – Shaun White
60. quotes about nerves in sports had a lot of drawbacks and setbacks in my career, but no matter what anyone says about me, I’m determined to be the best skier in the world, and no one is going to stop me.” – Lindsey Vonn
61. “I think the hard part is over. Now it’s time for us to play.” — Kerri Walsh
62. “Friendships first, competition second.” – Yao Ming
This short sports quote is a principle we should all live by. I’ve always admired athletes who can ‘hate’ their opposition on the field, but as soon as the final whistle sounds can be friends and have a beer.
63. “This whole journey was never about making a roster or being on a team. It was about giving myself an opportunity. I wanted to take a risk, put myself out there and put my faith in action. Faith without action is dead. This whole journey, I’ve never felt so alive.” – Jarryd Hayne
64. “Take your victories, whatever the may be, cherish them, use them, but don’t settle for them.” – Mia Hamm
65. “Aim high and don’t sell yourself short. Know that you’re capable. Understand that a lot of people battle with a lot of things – depression, body image or whatever else – so know that it’s not just you. You’re not alone.” – Holly Holm
ALSO ON THE BLOG: INSPIRATIONAL SPORTING EVENTS
Funny Sports Quotes
These are some of the top sports quotes. Pure comedy! Some intentional, some not. Not all quotes on sports come out as intended lol.
66. “I hate saying the old cliches. I like to make my own ones up. You’ve just got to take each game as it comes.” – Cory Jane
67. “You don’t like to see hookers going down on players like that.” – Murray Mexted
68. “The drivers have one foot on the brake, one on the clutch and one on the throttle.” – Bob Varsha
69. “Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not bowling centers in nashville tn – Lou Piniella
70. “When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want them to bury me upside down and my critics can kiss my ass!” – Bob Quotes about nerves in sports
71. “For me once I go out there to America I’m pretty much representing all of New Zealand because most people haven’t met New Zealand people, so I have to take that into consideration. If I’m a dick, then they’re like New Zealand guys are dicks.” – Steve Adams
72. “I’m in trouble because I’m normal and slightly arrogant. A lot of people don’t like themselves and I happen to be totally in love with myself.” – Mike Tyson
73. “I feel like I’m the best, but you’re not going quotes about nerves in sports get me to say that.” – Jerry Rice
74. “I’m glad I don’t play anymore. I could never learn all of those handshakes.” – Phil Rizzuto
75. “Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at them.” – Jimmy Demaret
76. “I enjoy all the oohs! and ahhs! from the gallery when I hit my drives. But I’m getting pretty tired of the awws! and uhhs! when I miss a putt.” – John Daly
ALSO ON THE BLOG: BEST EXERCISE GEAR FOR TRAVEL
Awesome Sports Quotes
These quotes from athletes could be used as inspiration or motivation, but they don’t really fit the bill imo. They are more straight awesome and show how sports plays a role in bringing the world together to learn about one another.
77. “Well, we knocked the bastard off!” – Sir Edmund Hillary
78. “I think he broke his face in the first play of the game, and then he got surgery at half-time and came back to finish the game and they won.” — Marshawn Lynch
Lynch is referring to Sam Burgess. Sam broke his jaw in the first minute of a rugby league grand final which is what Lynch is attempting to describe. Check out the video below! Rugby League is a brutal sport.
79. “When you do something stevenson womens volleyball, the Argentine people really attach themselves to you. They have so many problems back there that they’re looking for somebody to be proud of. I think about that, and I won’t forget it.” – Manu Ginobili
80. “I say this a lot, but every single day I’m living a dream come true.” – Michael Phelps
81. “I wanted to get the fans pumped for the second half, so I sent this tweet: “Need two more dunks on home court for the best crowd ever! #BaylorNation.” – Brittney Griner
82. “My parents always told me to be the same person no matter if you’re No.1 in the world or No. 1000. It doesn’t matter. Always be polite and always be respectful towards others, quotes about nerves in sports. If people don’t want to be respectful towards me I can’t do anything about it. I’m quotes about nerves in sports going to smile and say ‘I’m sorry you feel that way’, but at the end of the day you can’t make everyone happy.” – Caroline Wozniacki
83. “Sports is the best means of communication between people from different religions and countries.” – Yao Ming
84. “The country is full of good coaches. What it takes to win is a bunch of interested players.” – Don Coryell
85. “One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than 50 preaching it.” – Knute Rockne
86. “The Spirit of Sports: The spirit of sports gives each of us who participate an opportunity to be creative. Sports knows no sex, age, race or religion. Sports gives us all the ability to test ourselves mentally, physically and emotionally in a way no other aspect of life can. For many of us who struggle with ‘fitting in’ or our identity – sports gives us our first face of confidence. That first bit of confidence can be a gateway to many other great things!” – Dan O’Brien
87. “I baker skateboards necklace to be a giving woman and just a nice person in general.” – Serena Williams
Just be a nice person. That’s what was said on my home page before the current edition was changed in mid-2017.
88. “Negativity and Hulkamania – 2 things that don’t go together.” – Hollywood Hulk Hogan
89. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. The hands can’t hit what the eyes can’t see.” – Muhammad Ali
90. “The one thing I said all along in the build-up (to game three when the ages of many Maroons players were heavily questioned) is you cannot buy understanding. It either exists or it doesn’t.” – Wally Lewis
91. “Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates.” – Magic Johnson
92. “Sports teaches you character, it teaches you to play by the rules, it teaches you to know what it feels like to win and lose-it teaches you about life.” – Billie Jean King
93. quotes about nerves in sports purpose is to go over there and to see if I can keep bringing sports. I’m hoping it opens doors for us.” – Dennis Rodman
Dennis is talking about North Korea here. While his visits are often controversial, in my opinion, he really is trying to do some good in the world, quotes about nerves in sports. Nelson Mandela believes it’s possible!
94. “I believe golf can solve the worlds problems and stop war.” – Arnold Palmer hug hawks basketball src="https://www.tikitouringkiwi.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/twitter-icon.png">
96. “After what I did yesterday, you feel quite embarrassed … It was a very weird, surreal feeling this morning,” – Ernie Els
This was the day after Ernie Els six-putted the first green at The Masters. Even the best in the world can do things amateurs assumed was impossible.
97. “Fans still talk about my big white scrunchie, which became iconic in its own right. I loved that scrunchie and its little sparkles that Peggy glued on herself. Without my scrunchie, I wouldn’t have felt ready to compete. (Yes, I still have it.)” ― Shannon Miller
ALSO ON THE BLOG: VISITING CAMP NOU: HOME OF BARCELONA F.C.
Best Sports Quotes From Autobiographies I’ve Read**
In addition to watching sports, I like to read sports autobiographies (and memoirs) from people inside the sports industry. I’m always highlighting bits and pieces of what I like when reading. Below are a few that I want to share in this list.
98. “Three hundred and eighty matches a year. And I loved it. I couldn’t get enough of it.” – Ric Flair in To Be The Man
99. “At this level, with so many physical talents all capable of doing the same things, the mental side was the separator.” – Dirk Hayhurst in Bigger Then The Game
100. “I continued to call every week until I finally caught him. I think it’s safe to say that this is where I began to learn that persistence pays off.” – Justin Roberts in Best Seat In The House
101. “Nothing is every predetermined. It’s a constant reminder to work hard, stay focused and never believe that your future is assured.” – Tim Cahill
102. “It didn’t matter what obstacle was in front of us, we’d always carry on to the end. ‘Foxes never quit’ is the slogan above the tunnel at the King Power Stadium, and we followed that to the letter.” – Jamie Vardy
103. “The sportsman has something special inside of him that takes over in difficult situations. I was driven on by the desire, the passion, the feeling, and the pride of being a footballer.” – Andre Iniesta
104. “We all come from the same kind of families, that struggled and fought. And if you bring together people whose mentalities and experiences are the same, whose obsessions are shared, you have a big advantage.” – Luis Suarez
105. “In every game you play you face players also trying their best to win and to fulfil their own lifelong ambitions and dreams. As much as you try, sometimes things go wrong. There are things that are beyond our control. That’s why we always have to be physically and mentally prepared to the best of our ability, quotes about nerves in sports, because when it’s your turn, you have to give all you can. And you may never get another chance.” – Neymar Jr.
106. “It’s crucial to me that if I can personally change something, that’s what I’ll do. But with actions, not by talking big. I know that my visit didn’t make the world a better place, and it would be naïve to think so. But I’m proud to have given those children a brief moment of happiness.” – Mesut Ozil
107. “It is only natural that you will be disappointed when you make a mistake. But you cannot allow the negativity to consume you, just as you cannot get too excited when you have had a special game or pulled off a great save. They are just two sides of the same coin and sometimes the coin goes for you and on other occasions, it goes against you.” – Pepe Reina
108. “In order to pass through such a narrow gate, it is important to have a clear vision of how you’re going to reach a higher standard from an early stage in your development. How far you go depends to a large extent on how high you set your goal as well as the actions you take to reach it.” – Maya Yoshida
** will update this section from time to time
I’ve never been fond of cheesy quotes about travel. Yet I can apply pretty much all the above quotes to many of my past journeys and ones I will have going forward.
What is the most relatable sports quote for you?
27 Motivational Quotes From Track & Field Greats We Love
If there's a sport that demands the utmost self-belief and inner confidence in yourself, it has to be track and field. In a sport where you and only you can affect your performance, a great deal of responsibility and pressure can weigh on your shoulders.
Since the beginning of time, thousands upon thousands of men and women have competed in track and field events and experienced the same nerves and emotions that people feel to this very day.
Here are some quotes from the best to ever do it that hopefully inspire you to reach your full potential as well:
“Worrying gets you nowhere. If you turn up worrying about how you’re going to perform, you’ve already lost. Train hard, turn up, run your best and the rest will take care of itself.”
“I don’t think limits.”
“Kill them with success and bury them with a smile.”
“The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in determination.”
“I know what I can do so it doesn’t bother me what other people think or their opinion on the situation.”
"We all have dreams. In order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort."
"Friendships are born on the field of athletic strife and the real gold of competition. Awards become corroded, friends gather no dust."
"Find the good. It's all sieve hockey chant you. Find it, showcase it and you'll start believing it."
"It all goes so fast, and character makes the difference when it's close."
On his record-setting long jump: "I decided I wasn't going to come down. I was going to fly. I was going to stay up in the air forever."
“Life can lure us into this fantasy. A fantasy of fear. We look around and begin to fear we aren’t good enough for the right here and right now, quotes about nerves in sports, so we create illusions in our minds of what we still need to be — when all we need to be is present in this moment, at this time.”
“When you finally realize your gifts and talents, joy and satisfaction come as you walk in your purpose.”
“Failure I can live with. Not trying is what I can’t handle.”
“When we step into the grace of God, quotes about nerves in sports, we step out of the confinements of time.”
quotes about nerves in sports am a big believer in visualization. I run through my races mentally so that I feel even more prepared.
"I always want to give more than I gave yesterday."
"Before a race, I block out what's going on in the stadium. It's different for everyone. But for me, I've always been able to block it out. For a sprint race, it's important not to get distracted."
"My mom is great and I make sure that we pray together before every race. She helps me put everything in perspective and remind me of the real reason I run."
"The trials on the road to world harmony are no greater than the courage of those who accept the challenge."
"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, quotes about nerves in sports, hard work, and learning from failure."
"People have a moral standard about what they will do and will not do. At the end of the day, someone who cheats has a lower moral standard than someone who does not. And they will cheat in other areas of life as well."
"If you don't have confidence, you'll quotes about nerves in sports find a way not to win."
"Life is often compared to a marathon, but I think it is more like being a sprinter: long stretches of hard work punctuated by brief moments in which we are given the opportunity to perform at our best."
"One of the main techniques I used was focusing on the goal and visualizing myself competing in the race before the race started."
"The mind is absolutely instrumental in achieving results, even for athletes. Sports psychology is a very small part, but it's extremely important when you're winning and losing races by hundredths and even thousandths of a second."